Have you ever had a call from family or friends saying they are coming for an overnight visit and your first thought was, “Oh no! Where will everyone sleep?” No need to panic. Even if you don’t have an extra bedroom or beds, there are sofas that double as beds and don’t take up too much room or “break the bank”.
There are a couple of choices to consider, the first one being a futon. This looks like a sofa that is actually a mattress or cushion, covered with a futon cover that sits on a wood or metal frame and converts into a bed. You sit or sleep on the same cushion. Some benefits of a futon are:
1. Is great for a small room or apartment.
2. Can open up quickly and easily then folds back up easily.
3. Two people can sleep comfortably.
4. Comes in different sizes and can choose mattresses with various thickness
5. Is light in weight and easy to move.
6. Is reasonably priced.
A second option to consider is a sofa bed which is an actual sofa with cushions and has a metal or steel frame that pulls out into a bed. Here is a good article about sofa beds. Some benefits of a sofa bed are:
1. Looks like a regular couch so no one knows a bed is inside until you
remove the cushions.
2. Can use it in a room you don’t want to look like a bedroom, yet have the
option of extra sleeping space.
3. Can find all sizes, styles and designs to give your room the look you desire.
4. Can easily sleep two people.
To make the right choice, you need to ask yourself, “How much space do I have and do I want a more casual or more stylish look?” To answer your question, let’s look at the downsides. The sofa bed is heavy and difficult to move, so you would need someone to help; they are much more expensive than a futon; and the mattresses are thin and not very comfortable. The futon doesn’t look as nice as a sofa bed; doesn’t have as many choices in design, colors or style; and is not as comfortable as a couch. After careful research, hopefully the choice you make is one that works best for you and your guests for years to come.